It can be hard to find your way in an unknown city… (and… hem… particularly in Geneva).
But here are some tips for you about public transport in Geneva.
First, here’s a link to the english version of the Geneva Public Transport website.
Then, what you need to know:
- first of all, when you arrive at your hotel in Geneva, you can ask a « Geneva Transport Card » free of charge. This allows you to use public transport for free during your stay ! More infos here.
- at the airport, before the customs, you can get a free ticket for public transport. You will just need to keep your plane ticket, so don’t lose it !
- if you need to by a ticket, know that they can be purchased only with CHF or Euros
- from the airport to the main venue (Palexpo): bus #5 at stop « Aéroport » direction « Thônex-Vallard ». Duration = 3 min. At peak hours, you should have a bus every 8-15 min. Cost = 2.- CHF, but FREE if you took your ticket from the airport.
- from the aiport to the city center, duration 20-30 min by bus, 5 min by train:
- easiest way : by train. You don’t even need to go out of the airport. Once you’ve crossed the customs, go on your left and after a ~2min walk, you will enter another building. Go down the elevators: you’ve reach the train station.
- bus #5 direction « Thônex-Vallard », stop : « Rive ». This bus also stops at the main station (« Gare Cornavin »). Everything you need to know about this bus here.
- the other busses from the airport are
- #10 : Balexert – Cornavin – Bel-Air – Rive
- #23 : Blandonnet – Lignon – Aïre – Grand-Lancy
- #28 : Grand-Saconnex – Nations – Jardin Botanique
- #57 : Blandonnet – Hôpital de la Tour – Meyrin
- #Y : Blandonnet – CERN – Thoiry
- from the city center to the venue (Palexpo), duration 20-30 min :
- from Rive : tram #12 direction « Palettes », stop at « Bel-Air Cité », then take bus #5 at « Bel-Air » and stop at « Palexpo »
- from Plainpalais : tram #12 direction « Moillesulaz », stop at « Bel-Air Cité », then bus #5 (same as above)
- from Eaux-Vives : bus #2 direction « Jonction », stop at « Bel-Air », then bus #5 (same as above)
Make your own itinerary here.